Pani Puri


Pani Puri is my favourite Street Food. When ever I go to India Pani Puri is the first dish that I eat. Pani Puri that we get in India have a very different taste that I like. I tried this at home, my friend's house, in restaurants but taste is not very close to Indian Street Side Pani Puri. Now I am going to India in August I will have these when ever I want. Till then I am enjoying this home made pani puri. This time I tried Latha and Laxmi's version. You can find original recipe here. For my convenience I am adding same recipe here.



Ingrdients:
For Pani
Dates: 2
Tamarind: One 3 inch piece.
Jaggery(Gur): 2 tsp
Black Pepper Corns: 1 tsp
Cumin (jeera): 1 tsp
Coriander Leaves: 2 twigs
Green Chilli: 1
Mint Leaves : 10
Black Salt: 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste.

For Puri
Rava(Sooji): 1 Cup
Maida( All Purpose Flour): 1 Cup
Wheat Flour: 1 Cup
Ghee: 1 tbsp
Salt to Taste
Oil for deep frying

For Filling
Kabuli Channa (Whole White Gram): 1 Cup
Potato: 2 Medium Sized
Onion: 2 Medium Sized (Finely Chopped).
Carrot: 1 - Grated (Optional)
Finely Chopped Green Chillies: 2
Finely Chopped coriander 2 twigs.
Thin Shev
Salt to taste.

Procedure:
For Filling

  • Soak the kabuli channa over night or eight hours in 3 cups water. Wash well and pressure cook for 10 minutes with water . Boil the potatoes also along with the channa.
  • Peel the potatoes and dice. Drain the water from channa and add the ingredients for the filling except Shev and mix well. Transfer to a serving bowl.

For Pani

  • Soak the dates and tamarind in warm water.
  • Grind along with all ingredients for the pani to a paste.
  • Add 2 cups water and strain. Transfer to a serving bowl.

For Puri

  • Mix the flours and rava with salt and ghee. Make a dough adding required water. Leave for 15 minutes.
  • Knead the dough again and divide into portions convenient to roll. Roll into rounds and stamp out small rounds (2 inch diameter) using any lid or container rim.
  • Heat oil in a deep kadai, drop a small piece to check the temperature of the oil, it should rise immediately, the oil is ready for frying.
  • Keep the oil in medium flame and drop the puris a few for every batch. Press slightly with the back of the laddle so that the puris rise up. Turn and fry till the puris are light brown on both sides. Drain and place on a tissue paper to remove excess oil. Transfer to a serving bowl.

Serving

  • Serve puris in a plate and the pani and channa in two cups.
  • Make a hole on the puri, fill with 1 teaspoon channa and 2 teaspoons pani and just eat. Sprinkle some thin shev, red chilli powder and decorate with coriander leaves.


This is my entry for Sia's MBP: Street Food

Photobucket

My friends Sireesha and JZ gave me 'ROCKING GIRL AWARD'. Thank you very much Sireesha and JZ.

21 comments:

Usha said...

Oooo that had my mouth watering,I love pani puri and have never made it from scratch,normally I buy the puris readymade,cant wait to try this one!

Usha said...

Just wanted to let you know that I enjoy visiting your blog and have added your blog to my blogroll.

FH said...

That looks wonderful. I love Pani puri too, haven't eaten that in many years. Got to try!:)

ranji said...

even i bookmarked laks and lathamma's pani puri recipe..love these...and miss them really bad :)..looks delicious trupthi:)..

KonkaniBlogger said...

Yumm Yumm Yumm, drooling here just at the sight of that pani-puri, an all-time favourite..What a great entry Trupti..

lakshmi said...

that plate looks fabulous - glad that you tried our recipe - thanks for linking back.

Sum Raj said...

looks superb...i too luv pani puries specially homemade ones..

Andhra Flavors said...

Hey i too love it. just i made this pani puri y'day itself:)

SMN said...

Hey trupti pani puri looks yum

@the_whisk_affair said...

wow, that sure looks yumm!! i am drooling!! i have always wanted to have some..i think i've tasted it only once. i wish i cud come over to ur place!

Kalai said...

Oh, goodness! Perfect pani puris, Trupti. These look simply delicious!! :)

Trupti said...

Hey Usha, Thank you. I also added your blog in my blogroll.

Thank you Asha, Ranji, Maya, Lakshmi, Suma,AF, SMN,JZ, Kalai

Illatharasi said...

This is too good:) I want to take one;)

Uma said...

wow, those panipuris are so inviting Trupti! Fantastic panipuris. Yummy.

Sia said...

slurppppppppp... trupti, pani puri looks delicous. thanks for this awesome entry. will look fwd to ur mail :)

bha said...

it is two months since i have had this....makes me yearn for it now

ST said...

i love pani puri very much and miss them really bad :)..looks delicious trupthi:)..My mother makes it same way but i never tried will try now.....

Meera said...

Love it totally. I am waiting for an opportunity to make them. Let's see when it actually happens.
Wonderful entry.

Unknown said...

Trupti, Ur puri looks so pro.I really loved it and I have bookmarked it.Really superb.

Vidhya said...

This is my all time favorite. You have wonderful recipes. Visti mine if you get a chance. http://iyercooks.blogspot.com

Neha said...

hi Trupti,
I always do visit ur blog(though comment quite less), Liked the way u changed the layout, I love pani poori so much, but i'm always doubtful abt its pani, now 'll try ur's one, thanx..