Steamed Modak

Makes: 6-7 Modaks

Ingredients
For Cover

  • Wheat Flour: 1 Cup
  • Oil: 2 tsp
  • Salt to Taste
  • Water
For Stuffing

  • Fresh Grated Coconut: 1 Cup
  • Grated Jaggery / Gur: 1 Cup (Adjust as per your taste)
  • Cardamom / Elaichi Powder: ½ tsp
  • Finely Chopped Cashews, Almonds and Raisins: 1 tbsp
  • Ghee: 2 tsp

Procedure

  1. Mix salt and small amount of oil in a wheat flour very well. Then add some water and knead the dough. The dough should not be too soft. It should be just like Puri dough. Then add remaining oil and knead the dough. Cover this dough with clean pot or wet cotton cloth and keep aside for at least half hour.

  2. For stuffing, heat ghee in kadhai. First fry all dry fruits till golden brown. Then add coconut and jaggery. Cook this mixture on a low flame till the jaggery melts and the mixture comes together. Then add cardamom powder and mix well. Keep this mixture for cooling.

  3. Make small balls of dough. Apply some oil on a rolling board and roll these balls in small puries . These puries should not be too thick and too thin.

  4. Place small amount of stuffing in the middle of puri. Merge all the sides of puri to make in the shape of a fresh fig. Prepare all modaks.

  5. Boil water in a steamer or big kadhai.
  6. Take a steamer plate or colander; apply some ghee or oil to it. Place all modaks on plate or colander and keep this plate or colander on steamer or kadhai. Cover with lead. Cook these modaks for 15 – 20 minutes.


  7. Serve these modaks with warm milk or just eat like that.

Other Stuffing Options

  • 1 Cup roasted sesame Seeds , 1/2 Cup shredded jaggery, Cardamom / Elaichi Powder ,Charoli. --> Make powder of sesame seeds. Then add all other ingredients and mix well,
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped Cabbage, 1/4 cup finely shredded Carrot, 2 tbsp steamed Peas, 2 tbsp finely shredded Spring Onion, 2 tbsp sliced Onion, 2 tsp finely shredded Garlic, 1/2 tsp Black Pepper Powder, 1 tsp Soya Sauce, 1 tbsp Tomato Sauce, 1 tbsp Oil, small amount of Ajinomoto, Salt to tast ---> Heat oil in kadhai. Then add sliced onion. Fry till golden brown. Then add all other ingredients. Cook for 4-5 minutes. Then let it cool. (Serve these Modaks with any Sauce.)
  • Boiled mashed potatoes, Aamchur powder, Coriander seed powder, Jeera Powder, Garam Masala, Red Chilli Powder, Sugar, Finely chopped Coriander, Sesame seeds, Oil, Salt to taste ---> Mix all ingredients except oil. Heat oil in kadhai and add potato mixture. Mix well for 2-3 minutes. Let it cool.
  • Steamed Green Moong, Finely chopped coriander, Finely chopped Onion, Red Chilli Powder, Coriander seed powder, Jeera Powder, Garam Masala, Chat Masala, Lemon Juice, Salt to taste ---> Mix everything very well.

Other Cover Options

  • You can use same ingredients for cover but just instead of steaming you can deep fry these modaks.
  • 1 cup Maida, Salt and 2 tbsp Oil ---> Heat oil and add it to maida. Mix it very well till all the maida gets the oil. Add salt and water to make it a very stiff dough. Use same procedure for filling modaks and deep fry them.
  • 1 cup rice flour, 1 cup water, 1 tsp ghee, 1/2 tsp salt ---> Boil 1 cup of water. When it has reached a steady boil, add ghee, salt and oil. Now immediately add the rice flour and stir quickly so as to remove all lumps. Cover with a lid for some time. Remove the lid & stir again & again, cover again. Now remove pan from the heat. Take off all the mixture on a flat plate. Knead it thoroughly while hot. Make a soft dough. Keep covered aside. For preparing modak, grease the palms of your hands well. Take a ball of dough. Flatten the dough to form a cup shape. Place about 3/4th teaspoon coconut filling into this cup. Dip thumb & index finger in the oil & make 5-6 small pinches side by side on the outside edges of the cup. Bring them together on top and join to form a peak. Steam for about 15 minute (Source: Cusine Cusine -- I never tried this type of cover. This is just for information)

This is my entry for Suganya's AFAM: Coconut


Now some awards.

Shubha of 'Chutki Bhar Pyar' gave me 'Nice Matter Award'. Thank you very much Shubha for passing me this award. I would like to pass this award to

JZ of 'Tasty Treats' and Andhra Flavors of ' For Spicy Love' gave me 'Rockin Girl blogger'. Thank you very much JZ and Andhra Flavors for passing me this award. I would like to pass this award to

Wait one more award is here. Neha of 'Tasty Recipes' gave me' Yummy Blog Award'. Thank you very much Neha for passing me this award. I would like to pass this award to

You will find logo on side bars. Enjoy your awards.

32 comments:

ST said...

Wow, Modak its my favorite. But never tried at home.I want to have all of them.Gr8 Entry.

EC said...

We make the same with rice flour as kozhakattai for ganesh chaturthi...wheat sounds to be a healthier option...thanks for sharing

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

hi Trupthi,

thanks for ur comments about my onion chutney. your blog looks great. modak looks irresistible.

Scribbler said...

Hey Trupti! This is skribles of http://foodwithapinchoflove.wordpress.com
The comments section does not allow non-gmail/blogger users to add comments ... hence using this login ... It would be nice if you can enable it ...
Congrats on ur awards and thanks for thinking about me for the award! A great way to celebrate awards with the sweet modak ... they look perfect and yummy ...
At our place, we make it the rice flour way. Wheat sounds interesting - thanks for sharing.

Usha said...

Hey Trupti
Congratulations on all your awards!!

Your modaks look delicious,I have made this many times in the past for Ganesh Chathurthi but with rice flour for the cover,the wheat flour is a very good idea!!

Thanks a lot for the award too,you made my day!!

FH said...

Yummy Modak, looks good T! I never made it at home, looks complicated but I am sure it's not!:))

Enjoy the awards, hugs.

Pavani said...

Your Modaks look so cute and yummy. :-) Thank you for the award.. It happens to be very first.. I'm giddy like a teenager for that.. Thanks so much.. Pavani

Trupti said...

Hey Sireesha, Now you have recipe you can try it at home.

EC, I only know how to made modak with rice flour but I never tried those at home.

Thank tou Mahimaa for visiting my blog.

Thank you Scribles, Usha.
You are welcome. You all deserve these awards.

Hey Asha, Modaks are not complicated just try some day.

Thank you Pavani. Enjoy your first award.

Uma said...

modak looks so delicious Trupti! We usually make these during festivals. lovely entry for the event. Congrats on the well deserved awards.

Sagari said...

never tried making these trupti,pic look tempting

vandana rajesh said...

delicious modak...back in kerala we make it with rice flour and a jaggery coconut or sugar coconut stuffing and call it kozhikatta

Andhra Flavors said...

yes trupti we have recipe like this with rice flour for ganesh chathurthi. I have pics aslo, i will come with that soon.
Nice dish trupti. this time i will try with weat flour also.

Purnima said...

Trupti, I love these and used to hv rice flour modaks at a marathi friend during Ganapathi!! Wonderful with wheat flour is new to me, loved ur stuffing ideas too! shall surely give a try..tks for picking me for the awards..glad to know u find my matters 'nice' :D hv a gr8 wkend!!

Pallavi said...

Wow. That looks awesome.

Congratulations on your awards and thanks for passing on the Yummy Blog Award to me.. Its my first award...!

@the_whisk_affair said...

this sounds great, trupti...with this many stuffing options, it would be different each time around!! thanks for sharing, and a great entry!

ST said...

Hi Trupti,Thanks for thinking of me and passing the award to me.

Sum Raj said...

modak is tempting...usually make them during ganesh chaturthi...urs has come out soo well...congrates on ur awards

Trupti said...

Thank you Uma. We also usually make these for Ganesh Chaturthi.

Hey Sagari, now you have a recipe so you can try it now.

Hey Vandana & AF, I know that version of modak but I never tried that.

Hey Purnima, you deserve this award. You try these modaks and let me know the result.

Hi JZ, I am glad you like these modaks.

Hi Sireesha, you deserve the award so enjoy this award.

Hey Suma, thank you.

Suganya said...

Hi...
This is a very different recipe. Look so good. Never tried this before. YUM! Loved the prefect shape of the modak.

KonkaniBlogger said...

Trupti, great looking Modaks. I have had these steamed ones long back at a friends place. Thanx for sharing.

Kalai said...

We call them as kozhukottai in Tamil, but we use rice flour for the cover. The shape looks absolutely perfect, Trupti. Nice job!! :)

Kalai said...

Oops... Forgot to say congrats on the awards, girl!! You deserve them!! :)

Bong Mom said...

Thanks for passing on the award Trupti
Your modak looks amazingly cute, I don't think I have ever had these. Are they always steamed ?

SMN said...

Modak is my fav but never tried it. bookmarked the recipe..

Unknown said...

That looks perfect shape ! Just like those you see pn post cards etc offered to lord Ganesh:) Thanks a bunch for the recipe trupti:) Congrats on all your awards Trupti:)

Trupti said...

Hey Sukanya, try this recipe & let me know how it comes.

You are welcome Maya, Kalai.

Thank you Sandeepa. You can also fry them but I love steamed one.

Thank you SMN,Roopa.

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

Hi Trupti, I just tried your modak recipe and came out great!Thanks for such a wonderful recipe. I love modaks, but i could never make it perfectly. this time, it came out very well.

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

Hi Trupti, i tried your modak recipe and came out gr8! i have posted my pics in my blog and given your link for following the recipe.. i hope u don't mimd.. if u do, let me know.

Trupti said...

Hey Mahima, I am glad that you tried and liked these modaks. As you given my link I don't have any problem.

Unknown said...

wow! the modak looks wonderful!

Unknown said...

Trupti, I have never eaten them but I know they taste heavenly as it is lord Ganesha fav.
Thanks for many suggestions and filling ideas.

Peter said...

Yummy modak!!!

--------------------------
Dosa