- Wheat Flour: 1 Cup
- Oil: 2 tsp
- Salt to Taste
- Fresh Grated Coconut: 1 Cup
- Grated Jaggery / Gur: 1 Cup (Adjust as per your taste)
- Cardamom / Elaichi Powder: ½ tsp
- Finely Chopped Cashews, Almonds and Raisins: 1 tbsp
- Ghee: 2 tsp
- Mix salt and small amount of oil in a wheat flour very well. Then add some water and knead the dough. The dough should not be too soft. It should be just like Puri dough. Then add remaining oil and knead the dough. Cover this dough with clean pot or wet cotton cloth and keep aside for at least half hour.
- For stuffing, heat ghee in kadhai. First fry all dry fruits till golden brown. Then add coconut and jaggery. Cook this mixture on a low flame till the jaggery melts and the mixture comes together. Then add cardamom powder and mix well. Keep this mixture for cooling.
- Make small balls of dough. Apply some oil on a rolling board and roll these balls in small puries . These puries should not be too thick and too thin.
- Place small amount of stuffing in the middle of puri. Merge all the sides of puri to make in the shape of a fresh fig. Prepare all modaks.
- Boil water in a steamer or big kadhai.
- Take a steamer plate or colander; apply some ghee or oil to it. Place all modaks on plate or colander and keep this plate or colander on steamer or kadhai. Cover with lead. Cook these modaks for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Serve these modaks with warm milk or just eat like that.
Other Stuffing Options
- 1 Cup roasted sesame Seeds , 1/2 Cup shredded jaggery, Cardamom / Elaichi Powder ,Charoli. --> Make powder of sesame seeds. Then add all other ingredients and mix well,
- 1/4 cup finely chopped Cabbage, 1/4 cup finely shredded Carrot, 2 tbsp steamed Peas, 2 tbsp finely shredded Spring Onion, 2 tbsp sliced Onion, 2 tsp finely shredded Garlic, 1/2 tsp Black Pepper Powder, 1 tsp Soya Sauce, 1 tbsp Tomato Sauce, 1 tbsp Oil, small amount of Ajinomoto, Salt to tast ---> Heat oil in kadhai. Then add sliced onion. Fry till golden brown. Then add all other ingredients. Cook for 4-5 minutes. Then let it cool. (Serve these Modaks with any Sauce.)
- Boiled mashed potatoes, Aamchur powder, Coriander seed powder, Jeera Powder, Garam Masala, Red Chilli Powder, Sugar, Finely chopped Coriander, Sesame seeds, Oil, Salt to taste ---> Mix all ingredients except oil. Heat oil in kadhai and add potato mixture. Mix well for 2-3 minutes. Let it cool.
- Steamed Green Moong, Finely chopped coriander, Finely chopped Onion, Red Chilli Powder, Coriander seed powder, Jeera Powder, Garam Masala, Chat Masala, Lemon Juice, Salt to taste ---> Mix everything very well.
Other Cover Options
- You can use same ingredients for cover but just instead of steaming you can deep fry these modaks.
- 1 cup Maida, Salt and 2 tbsp Oil ---> Heat oil and add it to maida. Mix it very well till all the maida gets the oil. Add salt and water to make it a very stiff dough. Use same procedure for filling modaks and deep fry them.
- 1 cup rice flour, 1 cup water, 1 tsp ghee, 1/2 tsp salt ---> Boil 1 cup of water. When it has reached a steady boil, add ghee, salt and oil. Now immediately add the rice flour and stir quickly so as to remove all lumps. Cover with a lid for some time. Remove the lid & stir again & again, cover again. Now remove pan from the heat. Take off all the mixture on a flat plate. Knead it thoroughly while hot. Make a soft dough. Keep covered aside. For preparing modak, grease the palms of your hands well. Take a ball of dough. Flatten the dough to form a cup shape. Place about 3/4th teaspoon coconut filling into this cup. Dip thumb & index finger in the oil & make 5-6 small pinches side by side on the outside edges of the cup. Bring them together on top and join to form a peak. Steam for about 15 minute (Source: Cusine Cusine -- I never tried this type of cover. This is just for information)
This is my entry for Suganya's AFAM: Coconut
Now some awards.
Shubha of 'Chutki Bhar Pyar' gave me 'Nice Matter Award'. Thank you very much Shubha for passing me this award. I would like to pass this award to
- skribles of 'Food with a Pinch of Love'
- Lavnya of 'Cookery Corner'
- Purnima of 'Fantasy Cooking'
- Srivalli of 'Cooking 4 all Seasons'
- EasyCraft of 'Simple Indian Food'
- Sireesha of 'Mom's Recipes'
- Srivalli of 'Cooking 4 all Seasons'
- Namrata of 'Finger Licking Food'
- Pavani of 'Cook's Hideout'
- Sandeepa of 'Bong Mom's CookBook'
- Saswati of 'Potpourri'
Wait one more award is here. Neha of 'Tasty Recipes' gave me' Yummy Blog Award'. Thank you very much Neha for passing me this award. I would like to pass this award to
- SASHREE of 'A Warm Welcome to all the foodies....... '
- Usha of 'Veg Inspirations '
- Lavi of 'Home Cook's Recipes'
- Pallavi of 'All Things Yummy'
You will find logo on side bars. Enjoy your awards.