Pithale - Bhakri (Besan Curry and Rice Roti)



I had sinus infection from last week but today I am feeling little bit OK so posting this recipe. May be I need this week to get better and start acting regularly. Thank you very much my friends for your lovely wishes. I am glad that you all care about me. :)


Pithale - Bhakri is very famous village dish in Maharashtra. You can make this pithale dry or as like curry but I curry version. It goes well with rice as well as roti. Pithale is one of my comfort food I can eat this pithale anytime. Usually we make Bajra or Jowar bhakri with pithale but right now I don't have those flour so making rice bhakri.


Pithale (Besan Curry)


Ingredients:

  • Besan (Chickpea Flour): 1/2 Cup
  • Finely Chopped Onion: 1 Cup
  • Minced Garlic, Ginger, Green Chillies, Coconut: 2 tsp or as per taste
  • Coarse Powder of Roasted Peanuts: 1 tbsp
  • Curry Leaves: 4-5
  • Mustard Seeds: 1/2 tsp
  • Turmeric Powder: 1/4 tsp
  • Hing (Asafoetida): 1/4 tsp
  • Finely Chopped Coriander: 1 tbsp
  • Oil: 1 tbsp
  • Salt to Taste

Procedure:

  1. In a bowl mix besan with sufficient amount of water to make a smooth paste just like uttappam batter.
  2. In a heavy bottom sauce pan heat oil. Then add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds stops popping add curry leaves. Fry for minute.
  3. Then add minced ginger, garlic, coconut & green chillies. Fry for a minute. Then add hing and onion. Cook onion till they become golden brown.
  4. Add turmeric powder. Mix it well.
  5. Then add one and half cup of hot water in the pan. Add salt, peanut powder and bring it to boil.
  6. Then add besan paste slowly into the pan. Stir this mixture often to avoid making lumps.
  7. Cook this mixture with lid for 5-7 minutes.
  8. Garnish this pithale with coriander. Serve this pithale with roti or bhakri or plain rice. Don't forget to eat raw onion and if you wish green chillies with this pithale.


Tandlachi Bhakri (Rice Roti)

Ingredients:

  • Rice Flour: 1 Cup
  • Water: 1/2 Cup
  • Salt to Taste

Procedure:

  1. Add salt into water and boil water in a small non stick sauce pan.
  2. Add rice flour slowly into the boiling water and keep stirring continuously to avoid making lumps.
  3. Cover the pan with lid and remove pan from gas. Keep this aside for 2-3 minutes.
  4. When rice dough is look warm knead it very well with hands. This dough should be just like roti dough. If need add some water.
  5. Divide the dough into small balls and cover these balls with wet cloth.
  6. Keep tava or griddle on the gas on low flame.
  7. On any flat surface spread some rice flour. Take one ball and roll it into thin bhakri with rolling pin or with hands. Roll bhakri on one side only.
  8. Place bhakri on hot tava and apply little water every where on the top of the bhakri. Make sure that rice flour side of bhakri is on the top.
  9. Once water gets evaporated turn it over and cook for at least 10 seconds.
  10. Then remove tava from gas and by using steel spatula cook bhakri on the gas burner from both sides.
  11. Serve this hot bhakri with pithale or garlic chutney or thecha or any curry.

Note: For bajra or jowar bhakri avoid first 3 steps. Just add look warm water in a flour and make a dough. Rest of procedure is same.



This Pithale - Bhakri goes to Shama's Village Special Recipes and Pithale goes to my Comfort Food for Illness event.



Now it's award time. Saritha of My Kitchen's Aroma, Pooja of Sai Kitchen, Hema of Salt to Taste, Dhanya of My Home Cooking , Suparna of Food Fascination and Priya of Priya's Sourashtrian Kitchen gave me 'I love your blog' award. Thank you very much Saritha, Pooja, Hema, Suparna, Dhanya and Priya. I am honored to get this award.



This award has got the following rules
  1. Add the logo of the award to your blog.
  2. Add a link to the person who awarded it to you.
  3. Nominate at least 7 other blogs (Only if you like).
  4. Add links to those blogs on your blog.
  5. Leave a message for your nominees on their blog.

I would like to passt this award to Asha , Mahimaa's kitchen, Vishali , Pooja , Sanghi , EC , Khaugiri , Lavanya , Superchef , Varsha Vipins , Vaidehi , Suparna, Red Chillies , Uma , Ushanandini , Vrinda , Madhuram, Varunavi , Ramya

43 comments:

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

hey nice dishes.. the combo is great. thx for award dear.

Nandinis food said...

Pithale looks appetizing! This is my husband's fav... dish. Roti's soft! i want to grab that plate! Take care! Congrats on your award! ^_^

FH said...

Glad you are feeling a bit better T, rest and don't worry about blogging. Concentrating on PC only gives you more headache. Hope you made some Pepper soup I sent for your event, great for cold and sinusitis! :)

Great combo, I love Pithle.

Pooja said...

Nice combo..Delicious post trupti...Thanks for the award..Wish a quick recovery..

Manju said...

this recipe is completely new to me, but i think i am gonna love it!

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Oh so how are you feeling now... Take rest and get well soon... Congrats on your award... I love the Besan curry, its cholestrol free... But at our place its done slightly different with a lil of wheat flour but no coconuts... This looks so creamy...

Priya Sriram said...

Could you please pass me that Dinner plate? :D So appetizing! :)
And, its a pleasure to share the award with you dear! :)

Lavanya said...

i love rice roti..i am craving for this now..Besan gravy looks so yummy trupti!!

Varsha Vipins said...

Authentic Marathi dish ..Aint it..looks total yum Trupti..:)

suvi said...

Oh I love pithale too, in fact I made sure that my Tam husband likes it too!
I miss having it with bhakri - never got the flour, though wonder why I never thought of making them with rice flour - thanks, will make it soon.

Anonymous said...

Trupti,the rice roti there is bit nostalgc..so lovely trupti..and the besan curry is something i havent tried yet..
Congrats on the Award !!

Saritha said...

I love rice roti,the curry is new to me.
btw u have been awareded by me as well:(

Thanx for the award

Sanghi said...

yummy besan curry trupti..! Congrats and thanks for passing to me..!:)

Priya Suresh said...

Both dishes looks prefect Trupti..glad to know that u r feeling better now:)

Anonymous said...

A friend once told me about this Maharashtrian delicacy and I loved the idea. I have some jawar atta, I will try making roti like you described.

Vishali said...

mmmh Trupti my mouths watering looking at the thali....very delicious:).

lubnakarim06 said...

Something new to me. Looks yum...

Vishali said...

Hey Trupti, congrats on winning the award and thank you for passing it to me. I feel am really on top of the world. :) Hope u are doing well now from the cold.

AnuSriram said...

Lovely platter Trupti! A simple and satisfying meal! Delicious!

Khaugiri said...

Hey Trupti, Thanks a lot for the Award!!!!! This is my first Award :). I had also selected same menu for 'Village Special Recipes' event, but will change now. Pithale bhakri mast vatatay, specially kanda:)

Nandinis food said...

Thanks for the Award Trupti!Nice entry for the events.

Suparna said...

Hi Trupti,
I wish u a complete and speedy recovery :) take good care of urself dearie.
Love bhakris of any kind very healthy stuff na. The besan curry is new to me, looks tempting and apt for rotis like these. Need to try it sometime. Thanks for the recipe.
TC
BTW pls do collect the same award from me too :)Thanks for sharing it with me sweetie :)God Bless.

hv jn4 rnfvju hn fjmv nvtrngjv cftmgkivj mt said...

We call the besan flour curry as Bombay chutney and we use buttermilk instead of water to mix with the flour. Rice flour roti is in my pending list for quite sometime now.

Thank you very much for sharing the award with me Trupti.

Lavanya said...

congrats on your award..thanks for sharing the award with me too :)

Vrinda said...

Besan curry is new to me,i liked it,will give it a try..And roti,v also make similar roti.Thanx for sharing awrads with me too, Trupti.For me April is the month of awrads got same awards from diff blogs..Will post it soon

Vaidehi Bhave said...

Hi Trupti,

thanks for the award..Pithale Bhakari khup chan disatey.. mala lagech karavishi vatatey. Amhi kokum pan ghalato pithalyat kadhi kadhi. ani varoon lasoon chutney..ahaha

Vaidehi

Uma said...

that's a delicious platter Trupti! Nice authentic dish! Hope you're feeling better now! I also got some viral infection (throat) and still have some cough. Take care.

Congrats on the well deserved award and thank you for thinking about me! :)

Jen Kumar said...

I love pithale! Adding peanut powder will be a new added taste!

When adding besan mix to hot water do you have any other tricks to reduce the lumps?

I am going to link your recipe to my blog here
http://shakahaari.blogspot.com/2008/12/besan-chutney-spicy-chickpea-gravy.html

thanks!

Red Chillies said...

I hope you feel better soon, Trupti. Please take some well deserved rest. We call this Jhunka and bhakri. My Aayi also used to make lasun chutney along with these and jowar bhakri.

Congratulations on the awards and thank you very much for passing it onto me.

Trupti said...

Thank you very much Mahimaa.

THank you very much Usha. You can have that plate any time :)

Thank you very much Asha for your concern. Yes I am taking rest but got fed up od rest :)

Thank you very much Pooja, SuperChef. Try this recipe & let me know.

Thank you very much Ramya. Pithale with wheat flour that is new to me. Waiting for your recipe.

Sure Priya you can have that plate anytime u want.

Thanks Lavanya. You can have that plate any time you want :)

Thank you very much Varsha.

THank you very much Aqua. Now u have recipe for rice bhakri. Try it now.

Thank you very much Ann. Sure try this & let me know.

Thank you very much Saritha, Sanghi, Priya.

Sure Roma, you can try this curry & bhakri & let me know.

THank you very much Vishali, KF, Anu.

u r welcome Preeti. Sorry I stole ur menu :) I know u can come up with different menu :)

Thankyou very much Suparna. Sure try this recipe & let me know.

Madhu, using buttermilk instead of water is nice idea. I will try this version.

Thank you very much Lavanya, Vrinda.

Thanks & ur welcome Vaidehi. Me kadhi Kokum ghatale nahi aata nantar kokum ghalun pithale try karen. Lasson chutney chi idea pan chan aahe. U can have this plate any time of the day.

Thank you very much Uma. S I m feeling little better now. U should also take care.

THank you very much Jennifer. If u add besan paste to the hot water u will get very less lumps.

Thank you very much RC. For dry version of Pithale we called Jhunka. using lasun chutney with pithale is nice idea.

Thank you very much everyone for ur concerns. I am very touched. I am doing better now.

Indian Khana said...

Hey dear glad to you know you are recovering....and pithale with roti looks yummy...Congrats on your award :)

Deepa Hari said...

Nice to know u r feeling better....Pithale - bhakri sounds great....nice combo Trupti.

Unknown said...

That makes me hungry! Delicious looking platter!

sriharivatsan said...

I hope by this time you will be feeling better..Take good care and adequate rest Trupti..

I have never tasted both these dishes. It looks very much inviting..

lissie said...

Hi Trupthi, loved your blog...rice roti and besan curry sounds like a great combinaion!
I have sent you my contribution for 'CFK-Rice'. Plz check your e-mail.

Kalyani said...

New recipe to me trupti ... will try soon ... I think u r feeling better now ... Get well soon !!!

Dhanya Ganesh said...

Nice combo. Platter looks inviting and colorful.Wish I had that plate right now:).

Mangala Bhat said...

hi trupti new recipe to me thanks soo much

Coffee and Vanilla said...

I made different rotis several time... this recipe looks very good and worth trying.

Trupti said...

Thank you very much Priti, Deepa, Divya, Sri, Lissie, DHanya, Mangala, CV

Lena Jayadev said...

presentation as a platter s just superb..hav tried several roti's frm different blogs...got a recipe to test in dis weekend... :)

Trupti said...

Thank you very much Lena. Sure try these roties and let me know

Raksha said...

Nice bhakri.

first time here.

http://rakshaskitchen.blogspot.com