To read this article in Marathi Click Here
Kat (Chaana Daal Stock): 2 Cups
Cooked Chaana Daal: 1/4 Cup
Curry Leaves: 1 Spring
Sliced Onion: ½ Cup
Dry Shredded Coconut: 1 tbsp
Ginger – Garlic Paste: 1 tsp
Sesame Seeds: 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds: 1 tsp
Pinch of Hing (Asafoetida)
Kandyacha (Onion) Masala: 2 tsp
Curry Masala: 2 tbsp
Finely Chopped Coriander
Tamarind Pulp: 2 tsp
Sugar or Jaggery: 1 tsp (Optional)
Salt to Taste
1. Blend cooked chaana dal & water. Make a fine paste.
2. Dry roast sesame seeds, coconut and onion individually. Let it cool. Then make a paste of onion, coconut and ginger garlic paste.
3. Heat oil in a sauce pan. Add cumin seeds. When they stop sputtering add curry leaves and hing. Then add onion paste. Cook this paste till it leaves some oil. It will take 3-4 minutes. Then add both masalas. Fry for 2-3 minutes.
4. Then add chaana daal stock & chaana daal paste. If you don’t have chaana daal paste, don’t worry take some extra cooked chaana daal. Add extra water, salt, tamarind pulp & sugar. Boil it for 4-5 minutes.
5. Garnish with finely chopped coriander. Serve this hot aamati with Puran Poli or Hot Rice or you can drink it like Rasam.