To read this recipe in Marathi Click Here
Channa Daal (Split Chick Pea or Bengal gram): 1 Cup
Grated Jaggery (Gur): 1 Cup
Cardamom Powder: 1 tsp
Nutmeg Powder: 1/4 tsp
Maida (All Purpose Flour): 1/2 Cup
Wheat Flour: 1/2 Cup
Salt to Taste
Ghee (Clarified Butter)
1. Wash daal & soak in plenty of water for about half hour.
2. Mix maida with wheat flour, salt. Add water, oil and make soft, pliable dough. Cover with a wet cloth and keep aside for at least 2 hrs. In between knead the dough by punching it for 3-4 minutes or you can place dough on flat surface & beat the dough with rolling pin. Add 2-3 tsp oil while doing this. Do this at least for 4-5 times. Make fine, soft & smooth dough.
3. Cook channa daal with sufficient water in pressure cooker. Don't overcook the daal. Then drain excess water using colander. Don't throw this water use this water to make Katachi Aamti (Rasam / Soup).
4. Heat kadhai and add channa daal. Fry till all water get evaporates. Then add jaggery, cardamom powder and nutmeg powder. Mix well everything for 5 minutes. Then grate the puran with puran making machine or you can mix it in mixer or food processer.
5. Divide the dough into small balls. Divide puran in balls double the size of dough balls. Keep these balls aside.
6. With greased palms take one ball of dough, flatten it into a disc of the size of palm. Place one ball of puran(stuffing) in the center and fold all the edges of disc to cover the puran ball. Flatten the ball with palm.
7. Tie muslin cloth on rolling board. Then sprinkle some flour on rolling board or any flat surface, place this stuffed ball and roll it gently. Make sure puran did not get out so roll poli very gently. Don’t turn poli while rolling turn your rolling board so that poli will not stick to the board. If you think poli is sticking to rolling board use some flour. To avoid puran coming out of poli you can make poli by pressing the ball with palm on plastic sheet. For this use oil instead of flour.
8. Heat tava and place some ghee or oil on it. Gently lift the poli & place it on tava. Cook both sides until color changes to light brown. Apply ghee while cooking. While roasting poli just don’t turn poli lot of times just turn for 2-3 times. Follow the same procedure for remaining balls.
9. Serve hot puran poli with ghee or warm milk or katachi aamati .
1. Make sure knead the dough according to procedure otherwise polis will not become soft.
2. Be gentle while rolling the poli.
3. Puran or puran poli will remain good for 2 weeks in fridge.
4. You can use sugar instead of jaggery.
5. If you want you can use shredded coconut or khoya (mawa). Add them when you add jaggery to the daal.