Kairas (Instant Raw Mango Pickle)


Ingredients:
  • Raw Mango Slices: 1 Cup
  • Grated Jaggery: 3/4 Cup
  • Red Chilli Powder: 1 tsp
  • Fenugreek Seeds: 1/2 tsp
  • Mustard Seeds: 1/2 tsp
  • Hing: Pinch
  • Salt to Taste
  • Oil: 2 tsp
Procedure:
  1. Remove skin of mangoes and make thin slices.
  2. Heat oil in a kadhai. Then add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and hing. Then add red chilli powder and mango slices. Then add salt. Mix everything very well. Cover kadhai with lid. Let it cook for 3-5 minutes.
  3. When mango slices are 90 % cooked add jaggery and cook till slices get nicely done. If you want you can add small amount of water.
  4. When this pickle cools down, store it in air tight container. It will remain good for 2-3 weeks in freeze.
  5. Serve this kairas with anything like parathas, roti, rice or just apply on bread and have it.
This is my entry for Meeta's MM: Mango Mania, Manina's Eating With Season , Aartee's Summer Splash events.

20 comments:

FH said...

Sweet and sour, looks great!:))

bha said...

this is a lovely mango pickle and yes, so easy to make....but i havent yet got any raw mangoes here

Laavanya said...

I love this flavour combination. We make something similar called pachadi - lipsmacking :)

Usha said...

Hi Trupti,your kairas looks yummy ! we make a similar dish called pachadi with a slight variance in the last step,will try this sometime!

Red Chillies said...

Very nice, this has a mix of sweet, sour, spicy and salt. Loved it Trupti.
Hey, you have a surprise at my blog. Please check.

Anonymous said...

Nice recipe for a quick mango pickle. Good entry !

EC said...

wow...looks so good and tempting

@the_whisk_affair said...

ooh oohh!! give me raw mango, i will eat it anytime! made into a pickle, even better! :-)

Sunshinemom said...

Sounds somewhat like my neighbour's mangoes - droolicious:)

Kalai said...

So, I'm guessing this is sweet, sour and just a little spicy? Looks delicious! :)

Bhawana said...

just looking at the pic I cud feel its sweet n sour taste. yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy

Trupti said...

Hello Girls..thanks for your lovely comments. Yes I also love this kairas. It is very easy to make and it has all flavours..sweet, sour, spicy and salty.

Thank you RC for passing the award to me. I am so honored.

ST said...

Looks sooooooooo mouthwatering...

Trupti said...

Thank you sireesha.

@the_whisk_affair said...

trupti, theres something for you on my blog! :-)

ranji said...

sweet and sour mango pickle is so great with rice..love it..this one is really good.

I love many of ur maharastrian recipes..am going to try some of them soon especially shengdana chutney and khandvi..will let u know soon..maybe next week :)

ST said...

There is something for u in my blog:))

Andhra Flavors said...

That looks totally awesome. lovely entry.

Trupti said...

Thank you very much JZ for passing me my new award.

Thank you Ranji. Let me know the resulsts when you try these recipes.

Thank you very much Sireesha for passing me my new award.

Thank you AF

ranji said...

have something for u in my blog :)..cpme and collect it soon :)