Rice (Basmati) 300 gms.
Chicken pieces 600 gms.
Whole garam masala 2tbsp.
Sliced onions 1 cup
Chopped garlic 2 tbsps.
Chopped ginger 2 tbsps.
Red chili powder 3 tsps.
Coriander powder 1 tbsp.
Turmeric powder 2 tsps.
Bay leaf 2 nos.
Chopped tomato ¾ cup
Chopped green coriander 1 tbsp.
Curd (yogurt) 1 cup
Saffron ½ gm.
Garam masala powder 3tsp.
Milk ½ cup
Butter 50 gms.
Golden fried sliced onions¾ cup
Ginger julienne's 1 tbsp.
Oil 3 tbsps.
1. Pick, wash and soak rice in water for about 30 minutes.
2. Boil water, add ½ of the Whole Garam Masala , bayleaf and salt and boil rice till ¾th done. Drain rice and keep aside.
3. Mix salt, ½ of the red chili powder, ½ of the choppedginger, ½ of the chopped garlic, 1 tsp. Garam MasalaPowder, ½ of the turmeric powder and Curd/Yogurt. Mixwell and put chicken pieces in this for an hour.
4. Heat oil in a Patila or a thick bottomed pan. Add remaining Whole Garam masala .Let it crackle. Add Slicedonions and sauté’ until light golden brown.
5. Then add remaining chopped ginger, chopped garlic,coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, 1 tsp.Garam Masala powder and chopped tomatoes. Cook forabout 5 minutes. Add marinated chicken and cook tillchicken is tender.
6. Dissolve saffron in warm milk and keep aside.
7. Arrange alternate layers of chicken and rice. Sprinklesaffron dissolved in milk, remaining Garam Masalapowder, ginger julienne's, mint leaves, golden fried slicedonions and butter in between the layers and on top. Makesure that you end with the rice layer topped with saffronand spices.
8. Cover and seal with aluminum foil or Roti dough. Cook