2 cups coconut scrapped
1 cup coconut coarsely shredded
1 -1/2 cups sugar
1 cup milk
1 tbsp. butter
1/4 tsp. cardamom powder
1. Mix both types of coconut in a large heavy pan.
2. Add Add milk and cook till bubbes appear.
3. Continue cooking, stirring continuously, for 10-12 minutes.
4. Simultaneously, boil sugar in 1/2 cup water to make 2-1/2 thread syrup. (refer sugar syrup)
5. Pour into coconut, stirring gently and continuously.
6. Add butter, and continue stirring, till a soft lump is formed.
7. Empty into greased large plate, pat even very lightly.
8. Cool and cut into squares.
9. Cool and set completely before transferring to container.
10. Store in airtight containers.
Note: Never use the brown skin of the coconut while grating, or scrapping. Use the whitest possible. Otherwise the burfi will get discoloured, though taste will not differ much.
Making time: 45 minutes
Makes: 25-30 pieces
Shelflife: 2 weeks