4 cup flour (maida)
3 tbsp. fine grained semolina or rice flour
1/2th tsp. baking powder
2 tbsp curd (plain yogurt)
2 cups warm water
1 tsp. saffron threads, slowly dry-roasted and powdered
5 cups sugar
4 cups water
1 tsp green cardamom seeds powder
3 tbsp. kewra water or rose water
Ghee or vegetable oil for frying
1. In a bowl, take 3/4th cup of the water and mix well with flour, semolina or rice flour, baking powder, curd.You can also use a whisk for mixing.
2. Add remaining water and 1/8th tsp. of saffron powder well with the mixture until smooth.
3. Keep the mixture for about 2 hours to ferment and whisk again before use.
4. Make one string syrup by mixing sugar into water (make single thread consistency sugar syrup) & add saffron and cardamom powder in it.
5. Heat oil in a kadhai at a low flame.Pour the batter in a steady stream into the kadhai to form coils. Make a few at a time.
6. Fry them deeply until they turn in light brown color.
7. Take out the mixture from the kadhai and drain on kitchen paper and immerse in the syrup.
8. Keep them atleast for 4-5 minutes until they soak the syrup.
9. Take them out of syrup and serve hot.