2 tbsps Ghee
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1 cup Tomato puree
1 tsp Red chilli powder
1 tsp Garam masala powder
Salt to taste
1 cup Chickpeas (kabuli chana)
2 bunches Spinach
3-4 Green chillies
1 inch piece Ginger
4-5 cloves Garlic
1. Wash and soak chickpeas in four to five cups of water for five to six hours.
2. Drain, add three cups of fresh water and pressure-cook till done. Drain and refresh.
3. Remove stalks, wash and blanch spinach in boiling water for two minutes. Drain, refresh and blend to a puree.
4. Remove stems and wash green chillies. Peel and wash ginger and garlic. Grind the three to a coarse paste using a little water.
5. Heat ghee in a kadai, add cumin seed and sauté till it changes colour. Add green chilli ginger-garlic paste and fry for a minute.
6. Add tomato puree, red chilli powder, garam masala powder and salt and fry for a few minutes or till the ghee leaves the masala.
7. Add spinach puree and chickpeas and stir gently.
8. Cover and allow to simmer on low heat for five to six minutes.Serve hot.