2 bunches spinach, cleaned, shredded
100 gms. paneer made from cows milk
1 flake garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp. ginger grated
2 green chillies finely crushed
1/4 tsp. cumin seeds
1/4 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. wheat flour
3-4 pinches turmeric powder
3-4 pinches cinnamon clove powder
3-4 pinches asafetida powder
1 pinch garam masala powder
Salt to taste
Lemon juice to taste
1. Wash and drain spinach. Boil in minimal water till soft and bright.
2. Drain, cool, grind with flour, ginger, garlic, chillies.
3. Heat a heavy or nonstick pan, add seeds. When roasted add asafetida and ground spinach.
4. Add all other ingredients, except paneer and lemon juice. Stir, cover and simmer for 3-4 min.
5. Add paneer and lemon juice, stir gently. Simmer further for 2 minutes.
6. Pour into serving dish. Serve hot with wheat flour phulkas, or steamed brown rice.
Note: Most other veggies may be similarly cooked by using the oil-less tempering method as used above.
Low Cal Palak Paneer