1 1/2 cup of Basmati rice, washed and soaked for 30 minutes
200 GMS. Potatoes, peeled & diced
200 GMS. Carrots, peeled & diced
50 GMS. Cashewnuts
50 GMS. Almonds, soaked & peeled
25 gms. Raisins
25 gms. Glazed Cherries
100 GMS. Onions, thinly sliced
4 nos. Green chilies, thinly sliced
1 tsp. each of Ginger-garlic paste
1/2 tsp. Turmeric powder
1 tsp. Red chili powder
1 cup Curd
1 tsp. Saffron
2 tbsp. Milk
1/3 cup chopped Mint leaves
1/3 cup chopped Coriander leaves
6 Green cardamoms
2 Black cardamoms
1 stick of Cinnamon divided into four
3 Bay leaves
A pinch of Mace
Rose water as required
120 GMS. Ghee (clarified butter)
Salt according to taste
A little bit of kneaded wheat dough to seal the edges of the pan
1. Put the soaked rice in a pan and add 3 cups of water. To it add 3 Green cardamoms, 1 Black cardamoms,3 Cloves, 2 divided sticks of Cinnamon, and 1 Bay leaf. Bring the rice to a boil and cook until the rice is done. Drain and keep aside.
2. Beat the curd in a bowl and divide into two equal portions.
3. Dissolve saffron in warm milk and add it to one portion of the curd mixture.
4. Heat Ghee(clarified butter) in a pan, add the remaining Green cardamoms, Black cardamoms, Cloves, Cinnamon, Bay leaf , Mace and sauté over medium heat until it begins to crackle.
5. Add onions, sauté until golden brown, add green chilies, ginger, garlic and sauté for a minute. Then add turmeric and chili powder, stir, add the chopped vegetables and stir for a minute.
6. Now add the remaining portion of plain curd, stir, add 2/3 cup water, and bring to a boil, then simmer until the vegetables are cooked.
7. Once the vegetables are done add the dry fruits and nuts.
To proceed :
1. In the pan with the cooked vegetables, sprinkle little saffron- curd mixture, mint and coriander.
2. Then spread half the rice and again sprinkle the remaining saffron-curd mixture, mint and coriander and top it with the remaining rice. Place a moist cloth on top, cover the lid and seal with wheat dough.
3. Put the sealed pan in a pre-heated oven for 15-20 minutes. Take out & SERVE HOT.