1 kg. Firm white pumpkin
800 gms. sugar
2 tsp. calcium hydroxide (kitchen lime)
1/2 tsp. alum powder
1 tsp. rose water
3-4 drops kewra essence
2 cups water
1. Dissolve alum in 1/2 cup water. Keep aside.
2. Dissolve lime in 1 litre water, strain with a clean cloth, twice if required.
3. Peel pumpkin, dicard seeds, mushy centre.
4. Cut into 1"x2"x1" rectangular blocks or as desired.
5. Prick all over with a metal skewer or fork.
6. Put pieces in lime water. Soak for 30-35 minutes.
7. Drain, wash under clean running water for 2-3 minutes.
8. Put in a bowl, sprinkle alum water, shake to coat all pieces evenly.
9. Drain, boil pieces in a large heavy pan, till a little soft and exuding water.
10. Make a syrup of sugar and water, till 2 1/2 thread consistency (refer syrup method)
11. Put drained pumpkin pieces in syrup, boil till syrup becomes thick again.
12. Keep covered with a mesh, overnight.
13. Drain, boil syrup again till thick, add pieces, reboil for 3-4 minutes.
14. Drain out excess syrup, sprinkle essence and rose water.
15. Cool completely, refrigerate.
Making time: 1 hour
Makes: 1 kg. (approx.)
Shelflife: 2 weeks or more (refrigerated)